Field Day Visitor Safety Tips

From: "J. Marcus Ziegler"
To: "wvara-chat"
Subject: [WVARA Chat] Field Day Visitor Safety
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:04:48 -0700

Here are some Field Day safety hints if you are new to the WVARA Field Day
site here at 3000' in the Santa Cruz mountains.

I'm a new ham but a long time Santa Cruz mountain resident.

Lets be careful out there for yourself, our WVARA visitors and the local
mountain residents (like myself).

Carpool  with your friends to the site. This gives you somebody to read the
map and navigate while you are driving the car.

I expect the weather for Field Day to be:

   Dry, dry, dry and with some wind - HIGH FIRE DANGER
      - lets not start any wildfires with cars and hot mufflers, you never
know where somebody might try to park in the tall weeds and grasses if it
gets crowded at the site

   Hot in the daytime, plan on it being at least 80-90 degrees and you will
be in the full sun all during the day
      - drink lots of liquids, the heat and sun and wind will really dry you
out

   Sunny and clear, very high UV index
      - bring a hat
      - put on lots of sunscreen